Skip to content

Welcoming staff from overseas

Travelling to York is straightforward with several international airports within easy reach

Our Welcome Service is here to make relocating to the UK easier for you and your family


We also have a relocation handbook [pdf] to help introduce you to life in York and the UK

York is a vibrant international University welcoming staff and students from all over the world. The diverse and multicultural nature of our campus is reflected in us ranking 28th in the Times Higher Education (THE) awards for the world's most international universities. In the 2018 THE also features the University of York as one of the youngest institutions in the world top 150 and ranking us 137th in their world university rankings.

We have made a statement about the result of the recent EU referendum.

Welcome service

We are committed to supporting new colleagues from all over the world as they relocate and settle in in York. The service is tailored to suit the needs of new colleagues and their families whether they are joining us from overseas or from within the UK. Our welcome team help by:

  • offering support finding short term and long term accommodation
  • offering advice on setting up a UK bank account
  • giving advice on childcare, schools and catchment areas
  • offering general advice about relocation, the University and the city of York.

This list is not exhaustive and the team are happy to help with a wide range of requests. Details on how to access the service will be included in your offer pack.

Relocation handbook

Relocation handbook

We have also produced an international relocation handbook [pdf] which offers a wealth of information about relocating to York.

Getting permission to work

Passport stamp

If you are not a UK or Irish national then you may need to obtain permission to live and work in the UK.

Should we offer you a post we will also apply for a certificate of sponsorship for you. This certificate enables you to apply for a visa to enter and remain in the UK. Further information and guidance about work permission can be found on the Human Resources webpages.

For some jobs (typically those at the lower grades) if you do not already have permission to live and work in the UK then you will not be able to apply. This is because we cannot get certificates of sponsorship for these roles.