Associate Lecturer in Sustainable Development
Environment and Geography
University of York - Heslington Campus
£32,817 - £40,322 a year (reduced pro-rata for part-time working)
The Department of Environment of Geography is seeking a passionate, highly motivated and well qualified Associate Lecturer in Sustainable Development.
The post is part of new investments to further our strengths in challenge and solution-oriented teaching targeted at addressing grand environmental and social sustainability challenges. As part of this investment, we are looking for an outstanding candidate who has:
- A background related to sustainable development
- Passion and commitment to intellectual and action-oriented endeavours that will help bring about a sustainable and equitable planet
- Values congruent with the core values of our department
- Ability to develop innovative teaching approaches around a solution-oriented pedagogy
- Ability to lead teaching, supervise students, and provide pastoral support that together result in an outstanding student experience
This post is available at 60% FTE on a 3 year fixed-term Teaching and Scholarship contract. This includes scholarship time for pedagogic developments but does not include research time. Please note that flexible working patterns and job sharing opportunities will be considered.
- To deliver teaching through allocated lectures, tutorials and other forms of undergraduate and postgraduate teaching. Set and mark coursework and exams, providing constructive feedback to students
- To develop where appropriate revisions to existing modules or courses in terms of design, content, structure, forms of delivery, method of assessment
- To develop own teaching materials, methods and approaches, with guidance. Obtain and analyse feedback on own teaching design and delivery to facilitate this
- To provide – with mentoring - supervision to students, giving advice on study skills and helping with learning problems
- To contribute to learning and teaching enhancement projects.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications needed
- PhD in Sustainable Development or a related discipline, or equivalent experience
- Appropriate academic professional and teaching qualification or a willingness to complete the Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice
- Detailed knowledge in Sustainable Development sufficient to develop teaching and provide relevant learning support to students across different levels of academic ability
- Knowledge of current educational research and innovative approaches to learning and teaching
- Highly developed communication skills to engage effectively with a wide-ranging audience
- Ability to design and deliver teaching material
- Ability to supervise the work of students, provide advice on study skills and assist with learning problems
- Ability to contribute to the design of course material, content and new teaching approaches.
- Ability to work as a team to deliver projects
- Experience in teaching and learning in HE at undergraduate and/ or postgraduate level or in an evidenced similar context
- Experience of using different delivery techniques to enthuse and engage students.
Interview date: 21 September 2021
For informal enquiries: please contact Roland Gehrels at email@example.com
The University strives to be diverse and inclusive – a place where we can ALL be ourselves.
We particularly encourage applications from people who identify as Black, Asian or from a Minority Ethnic background, who are underrepresented at the University.
We offer family friendly, flexible working arrangements, with forums and inclusive facilities to support our staff. #EqualityatYork