Industry Liaison Officer
Environment and Geography
University of York - Heslington Campus
£32,817 - £40,322 a year (reduced pro rata for part time working)
26 July 2021
The Department of Environment and Geography has recently launched a new joint MSc ‘Sustainable Business: Leadership, Innovation and Management’ course as part of the York-Maastricht Partnership (YMP). The programme requires strong links with external organisations within modules and through the group and independent sustainable business projects, and placements. To support the programme we are seeking an Industry Liaison Officer who will build strong business networks, and identify and develop opportunities for external contributions to taught modules and projects. The successful candidate will work in partnership with the Director of Learning and Teaching, Programme Leads in York and Maastricht, the Industry Liaison Team in Maastricht and the University Careers and Placements team.
- To be an ambassador for the Department of Environment and Geography, the University of York, and Maastricht University, and build a strong business network of industrial and other external partners,
- To build on existing relationships and forge new partnerships
- Communicate effectively with partners via a mix of formal and informal communications, including site visits, networking events, online meetings, email and telephone.
- To maximise the value of the relationship between the Department of Environment and Geography and our industry partners, for example by identifying and promoting opportunities for external contributions to taught modules, and student projects and placements.
- Be the key point of contact for students studying on the MSc ‘Sustainable Business: Leadership, Innovation and Management’ for projects and placements, and provide information, advice, guidance and support to industry, staff and students.
- To monitor the progress of students on placement and, where appropriate and in conjunction with the academic supervisor, to deal with any queries that may arise while the student is working with an external organisation.
- To provide support to students to help them market themselves most effectively when preparing for job applications and interviews. This includes, for example, CV writing and interview skills training.
- Link with the Department Employability and University of York’s Careers and Placements teams.
- Communication with the Programme Leader and Director of Learning and Teaching regarding embedding employability and external engagement into the programme.
- Develop and maintain appropriately managed lists of contacts as part of the University’s wider employer relationships strategy.
- Play a role in the University’s Employability Strategy through contributing, from time to time, to wider initiatives as part of the Careers and Placements team
Skills, Experience & Qualification needed
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent professional experience) in a relevant discipline
- Knowledge and understanding of graduate employability in a HE context
- Knowledge of career pathways for HE graduates from a relevant discipline
- Proven ability to build and manage effective business networks
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills-with the proven ability to develop good working relationships with staff, students and external partners
- Ability to work independently and use initiative to manage competing demands and achieve deadlines
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills, demonstrating accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to solve complex problems
- Project management experience
- Experience of administrative procedures
- Experience of presenting to a diverse audience
- Able to keep up to date with external influences, rules and policies
- Dedicated delivering a customer-focused service
- Open and approachable
- Committed to continuous professional development
Interview date: 26 July 2021
For informal enquiries: please contact Claire Hughes at email@example.com
The University is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community – a place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit. We offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements, staff engagement forums, campus facilities and services to support staff from different backgrounds.
A place where we can ALL be ourselves #EqualityatYork