Associate Lecturer role in Environmental Science or Environmental Geography
Environment and Geography
University of York - Heslington Campus
£32, 817 - £42, 792 a year
The Department of Environment of Geography are seeking a passionate, highly motivated and well qualified Associate Lecturer in Environmental Science or Environmental Geography.
The post is part of new investments to further our strengths in challenge and solution-oriented teaching targeted at addressing grand environmental and social sustainability challenges. Two other posts that are being advertised are Lecturer in Environmental Economics and Lecturer in Human Geography.
As part of this investment, we are looking for an outstanding candidate who has:
- A background related to environmental sustainability, environmental geography and/or environmental science
- Passion and commitment to intellectual and action-oriented endeavours that will help bring about a sustainable and equitable planet
- Values congruent with the core values of our department
- Ability to develop innovative teaching approaches around a solution-oriented pedagogy
- Ability to lead teaching, supervise students, and provide pastoral support that together result in an outstanding student experience
This post is available at 80% FTE on an open Teaching and Scholarship contract. This includes scholarship time for pedagogic developments but does not include research time. Please note that flexible working patterns and job sharing opportunities will be considered.
To deliver teaching through allocated lectures, tutorials and other forms of undergraduate and postgraduate teaching. Set and mark coursework and exams, providing constructive feedback to students.
- To develop where appropriate revisions to existing modules or courses in terms of design, content, structure, forms of delivery, method of assessment.
- To develop own teaching materials, methods and approaches, with guidance. Obtain and analyse feedback on own teaching design and delivery to facilitate this.
- To provide – with mentoring - supervision to students, giving advice on study skills and helping with learning problems.
- To contribute to learning and teaching enhancement projects.
Skills, Experience & Qualification needed
- PhD in Environmental Science or Environmental Geography or a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Appropriate academic professional and teaching qualification or a willingness to complete the Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice.
- Detailed knowledge in Environmental Science or Environmental Geography sufficient to develop teaching and provide relevant learning support to students across different levels of academic ability.
- Knowledge of current educational research and innovative approaches to learning and teaching.
- Highly developed communication skills to engage effectively with a wide ranging audience.
- Ability to design and deliver teaching material.
- Ability to supervise the work of students, provide advice on study skills and assist with learning problems.
- Ability to contribute to the design of course material, content and new teaching approaches.
- Ability to work as a team to deliver projects.
- Experience in teaching and learning in HE at undergraduate and/ or postgraduate level or in an evidenced similar context.
- Experience of using different delivery techniques to enthuse and engage students.
Interview date: 07 May tbc
For informal enquiries: please contact Roland Gehrels at firstname.lastname@example.org
The University is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community – a place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit. We offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements, staff engagement forums, campus facilities and services to support staff from different backgrounds.
A place where we can ALL be ourselves #EqualityatYork