Lecturer in Human Geography
Environment and Geography
University of York - Heslington Campus
£40,322 - £52,560 a year
The Department of Environment and Geography is seeking a passionate, highly motivated and well qualified Lecturer to deliver teaching primarily on our Human Geography & Environment programme.
The post is part of new investments to further our strengths in challenge and solution-oriented teaching targeted at addressing grand environmental and social sustainability challenges. Two other posts that are being advertised are Lecturer in Environmental Economics and Associate Lecturer role in Environmental Science or Environmental Geography.
As part of this investment, we are looking for an outstanding candidate who has:
- A background related to human and social dimensions of environmental sustainability
- Passion and commitment to intellectual and action-oriented endeavours that will help bring about a sustainable and equitable planet
- Values congruent with the core values of our department
- Ability to develop innovative teaching approaches around a solution-oriented pedagogy
- Ability to lead teaching, supervise students, and provide pastoral support that together result in an outstanding student experience
This post is available at 100% FTE on an open Teaching and Scholarship contract. This includes scholarship time which is expected to be used for pedagogic developments but does not include time for research. Please note that flexible working patterns and job sharing opportunities will be considered.
- To lecture, lead seminars, tutorials and other forms of graduate and postgraduate teaching
- To develop and apply innovative and appropriate teaching techniques and material
- To carry out on-going curriculum review and contribute to the development of teaching and learning strategies
- To undertake effectively a range of administrative responsibilities, including programme leadership and pastoral supervision
- To contribute to learning and teaching enhancement projects
Skills, Experience & Qualification needed
- PhD in Human Geography or equivalent experience
- Appropriate academic professional and teaching qualification or a willingness to complete the Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice
- Extensive knowledge in Human Geography to design & develop teaching programmes across different levels of academic activity
- Knowledge of a range of teaching techniques and methodologies
- Highly developed communication skills to engage effectively with a wide ranging audience, both orally and in writing, using a range of media
- Ability to innovate in teaching and learning, e.g. through the development of teaching materials
- Ability to teach at any level within area of expertise, and across a range of subjects at a more introductory level, and demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment in the process of teaching
- Ability to present specialist material in a logical, coherent and interesting manner, both to students and to fellow specialists
- Ability to disseminate scholarly pedagogic work, for example presenting papers at conferences and workshops, development of appropriate websites and publishing articles or papers in academic journals
- Experience in teaching and learning in HE at undergraduate or postgraduate level or in an evidenced similar context
Interview date: 05 May tbc
For informal enquiries: please contact Roland Gehrels at email@example.com
The University is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community – a place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit. We offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements, staff engagement forums, campus facilities and services to support staff from different backgrounds.
A place where we can ALL be ourselves #EqualityatYork