The Faculty of Social Sciences Departmental Academic and Communication Skills team is recruiting two full time academic and communication skills tutors for the School of Business and Society and the Education Department to enhance transition, academic and communication skills and the success of students in postgraduate taught programmes. You will have the opportunity to work with a large international department as part of a creative, dynamic team, providing department-specific academic skills provision and tutoring aimed at improving student performance and success in their master’s studies.
You will have a higher education teaching qualification (or equivalent recognition), experience of supporting master’s students with transition to higher study and developing higher level study skills and teaching students from a range of backgrounds and levels including international student groups. You will be a collaborative and supportive team member with knowledge of the national HE teaching and learning agenda and of current research in HE pedagogy, a proactive and positive approach, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Specific responsibilities will include:
• delivering engaging and effective language and academic skills teaching and advice to master’s students in the School for Business and Society and the Education Department.
• contributing to the development of materials that enable high quality and intellectually challenging teaching and learning, including digital and online resources;
• setting and marking student work and providing constructive feedback to students;
• reflecting on, and evaluating the effectiveness of the role holder's own teaching and support for learning, to ensure that its relevance and value to students' learning needs is optimised;
• contributing to the development of department-specific services, considering possible improvements to the portfolio of services, and possible new services;
• working collaboratively with colleagues in the department, other parts of DACS, other central teams and academic departments, to explore relevant aspects of student learning needs and opportunities for support;
• maintaining an up-to-date awareness of HE pedagogy and advances in technology relevant to
• teaching and learning in higher education, and undertaking professional networking with the wider HE community;
• A certificate in TESOL or CELTA or equivalent
• A good honours degree or equivalent.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and customer service skills that enable effective engagement with colleagues and students, one-to-one and in larger groups, across a range of disciplines.
• Proven ability to deliver engaging teaching, presentations, workshops and tutoring that convey useful and appropriately pitched content in a meaningful way.
• Experience of teaching academic and communication skills to PGT students
Interview date: 20 July 2022
For informal enquiries: please contact Victoria Jack on email@example.com
The University strives to be diverse and inclusive – a place where we can ALL be ourselves.
We particularly encourage applications from people who identify as Black, Asian or from a Minority Ethnic background, who are underrepresented at the University.
We offer family friendly, flexible working arrangements, with forums and inclusive facilities to support our staff. #EqualityatYork
York is one of the most successful universities in the UK.
With world-class activity across the spectrum from the physical sciences, life sciences, and social sciences to the humanities, we have been recognised as one of the top 100 universities in the world, gaining outstanding results in official assessments of our research and teaching.